Crown Wine Cellars would like to thank the following people for their significant contributions to this webpage:
Tony Banham, Bruce Ralph, Tim Ko, Rob Weir and the Antiquities and Monuments Division of the LSD Department of Hong Kong.
General Historical Background
Due to the fact that most of the war records were destroyed prior
to and during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, the history of the Deep
Water Bay Bunkers is incomplete. However, using inputs from various
historians, one can assemble what can be considered an accurate picture
of their history.
The site was originally known as the Central Ordnance (Munitions)
Depot, and the general area was known as Little Hong Kong.
Construction of the Bunkers was completed in 1937, at which
time the entire site was comprised of 12 pairs of bunkers,
a depot HQ, a sentry box and a guardhouse. Certain commentators have speculated that the guardhouse may have been
constructed by the Japanese Military.